Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Hospital Stay


We stayed at St. Luke's for two days/nights. A few highlights of our time there:

* We love that they offered us the option to "sleep" and have Noah in the nursery. Great in concept, but in reality we were up every two hours or so, between feeding Noah, getting my vitals checked, and taking medicine!

* Nurse Kamron is the best baby floor nurse around. She spent hours with us, listening, sharing, and teaching us everything we might need to know. We would have been lost without her! (I'm sorry to report that she has moved on to another dept. at St. Luke's & is no longer on the 8th floor!)

* I ate the most amazing German chocolate cake while in the hospital. NO, it wasn't St. Luke's cuisine - Dave's fabulous sister Jennifer got it for me from Cottonwood Grille. Seriously - go get some. You have to try that stuff!

* I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I actually ordered & consumed cajun chicken. Problematic for two reasons: "cajun" in hospital speak just means "overly peppered," and most breastfeeding mothers have already figured out that this isn't a good idea...

* So many wonderful folks stopped by to see Noah: my parents & sister Heather; Dave's mom & sister Jennifer; Dave's supervisor Sage & classmate Amy; my supervisor Mary, co-worker Anne & her daughter Madeleine; and our friends Aaron & Carrie and Diane.

* It took us forever to leave the hospital, with feeding Noah forty times, figuring out the carseat, waiting for the wheelchair & getting the massive amount of stuff we accumulated to the car.

* The ride home was quite an experience! I sat in the back of the van with Noah with my pinkie in his mouth (a trick we learned from the nurses - we hadn't discovered pacifiers yet). Dave drove like a grandpa, he was so afraid that Noah's little neck would snap if we turned corners too quickly!

No comments: