Monday, April 6, 2009

Lesson Learned

Don't take a tired, hungry toddler to the grocery store.

Even if you have just a few things to grab & you think you'll be in & out quickly, don't. Trust me on this one.

My morning ended like this: Noah, previously happy with pushing his little 'Customer in Training' shopping cart, was lying on the floor in full meltdown while I frantically chased bouncing rubber balls, chucked in all directions by my frustrated little man. After 10 min. of watering (eyes weeping/nose dripping/spit running) through the checkout line, I finally heaved him, milk & 2 bags out the door.

Embarrassment over? Not yet!

After crossing 1/2 the parking lot (holding my only free hand), Noah decided he was officially D-O-N-E. Back to meltdown, only better: lying on his stomach, face on the pavement. When I coaxed him over, all previously watered surfaces were now mudded with parking lot grime. And all this while I grimaced/waved/apologized to the crowd of auto onlookers, waiting for us to move so they could drive past (his chosen place of rest: the middle of the driving aisle).

He's finally napping, after a good cleaning, a drive home, & a PBHoney sandwich. I will never make that mistake again!

(Famous last words.)

2 comments:

Carrie Hutchings said...

Oh man, I do not envy you and am not looking forward to this day. Sounds like you handled it like a champ.

Motormouth Macey said...

You're such a calm mommy. I loved watching you interact with Noah at the Library today. After a good nap, and a good "Thomas and Friends" read I'm sure Noah will be back to his cheerful/happy self. Hang in there mommy :)